Wistar Morris, J.D.
Wistar Morris is a Client Strategist. Wistar advises families on asset allocation, portfolio construction, family and business succession, estate planning, and philanthropic strategies. He serves clients across the country, including Virginia, Illinois, South Carolina, California, Wyoming, and New Mexico.
Wistar came to Signature from the Miller Center, a nonpartisan institute at the University of Virginia dedicated to the study of the American presidency. He began his tenure as Executive Director and General Counsel of the Miller Center Foundation and later served as program director of the National Commission on Federal Election Reform, co-chaired by Presidents Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford. Subsequently, he became the Miller Center’s associate director, which included overseeing $45 million of endowment assets.
After graduating from law school, Wistar began his career at the Washington, D.C. office of Fulbright & Jaworski, and left to co-found Vega Group Limited, an international consulting firm that helped companies develop and implement successful export strategies.
Wistar is a community leader and frequently volunteers as an informal advisor to non-profit organizations. He currently serves as a Director of the H. Gordon and Mary Smyth Foundation in Charlottesville, as a Director of the Boys and Girls Club of Central Virginia and a Director of Charlottesville Tomorrow. Previously, he volunteered as a Trustee and member of the investment committee of North Cross School in Roanoke, Virginia.
Wistar is a graduate, magna cum laude, of Middlebury College and the University of Virginia School of Law.
Wistar and his wife, a professor at the University of Virginia School of Law, have two children. In his spare time, he enjoys skiing, hiking, tennis, and travel with his family.
- Co-founding of Signature’s Charlottesville office
- Serving as program director of the National Commission on Federal Election Reform, co-chaired by Presidents Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford, for the Miller Center, a nonpartisan institute at the University of Virginia dedicated to the study of the American presidency
- Twice named Board Member of the Year for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia
- Named one of three finalists in the U.S. for the Invest in Others Foundation Community Service Award
Education & accreditations
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, VA
- B.A. Magna Cum Laude, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VA
- Director, Boys and Girls Club of Central Virginia
- Trustee and Investment Committee Member, North Cross School, Roanoke, VA
- Director, H. Gordon and Mary Smyth Foundation, Charlottesville, VA