Susan R. Colpitts
Founder, Chief of Client Experience
Susan R. Colpitts is a Founder of Signature Family Wealth Advisors and leads the Client Services Team as the Chief of Client Experience. She is an expert in the technical areas of financial, tax, trust, and estate planning. She is particularly interested in working with clients to create meaningful philanthropic strategies that match their passions and financial resources with appropriate planning structures.
Susan is recognized nationally for her thought leadership and accomplishments in the areas of client experience, financial strategic planning and philanthropic planning. A frequent speaker, Susan has recently presented her work at national conferences for Family Office Exchange. Susan has received various national recognitions for her accomplishments, including Research Magazine’s Advisor Hall of Fame and the United Way of South Hampton Roads Volunteer of the Year.
Susan earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in English and her Masters in Accounting from the University of Virginia. She is an experienced accountant and Personal Financial Specialist.
Susan is actively involved in her community, engaging in volunteer activities which currently include being a Director of the Hampton Roads Community Foundation and Chairman of the Board for Virginia Humanities. Previously, Susan served as Trustee of the Eastern Virginia Medical School Foundation, Director of Building Goodness Foundation, past Chair of the United Way of South Hampton Roads and past Chair at the Virginia Symphony. Susan has also delivered speeches at conferences held by Family Office Exchange.
- Founding Signature and creating a firm where employees can be financially successful, have a great time a work, and keep the client at the heart of everything
- Building a deep and long-lasting relationship between Signature and The Women’s Initiative, which provides mental health services to women regardless of their ability to pay
Education & accreditations
- M.S. in Accounting with a concentration in Taxation, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- B.A. in English, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Trustee, Eastern Virginia Medical School Foundation
- Director, Hampton Roads Community Foundation
- Director, Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
- Director, Building Goodness Foundation
- Planned Giving Advisory Board Member, University of Virginia’s McIntire School of Commerce
- Chair, United Way of South Hampton Roads
- Chair, Virginia Symphony Orchestra
- President, Virginia Symphony Foundation