Chris McLean, J.D.
Chris McLean is a Client Strategist at Signature, focused on working with clients to implement wealth management strategies. Before joining Signature, he served as Market President for Bank of America in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he coordinated the cross-functional efforts of seven lines of business. Additionally, he was Senior Vice President and Private Client Manager at U.S. Trust-Bank of America Private Wealth Management. While at Bank of America, Chris earned a Certified Trust and Financial Advisor designation, and the Bank’s 2008 Virginia Spirit Award.
During his tenure at Bank of America, Chris served as Senior Trust Officer and Team Lead for the Western Theatre of Virginia, where he managed both business development and a $225 million portfolio of trust and investments.
Chris holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Virginia and graduated from the T.C. Williams School of Law. Afterward, he clerked for The Honorable Myron T. Steele, now retired Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court, and The Honorable Henry du Pont Ridgely, also retired Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court followed by a clerkship with Jere M. H. Willis, Jr., a Virginia Court of Appeals Judge. Chris then practiced law for several years with Tremblay and Smith, PC in Charlottesville.
Chris currently serves as a Board or Committee member for ReadyKids, Field School, St. Anne’s’ Alumni Council, Piedmont Environment Council, Samuel Miller Agricultural Trust, and Building Management Company.
In his free time, Chris enjoys spending time outside with his children and works on his family’s vintage 1914 Rugby Road farmhouse. He loves to travel and has explored most of the US, Europe, and much of the Caribbean.
What do you do at Signature?
I am considered the point person for client service, planning, investments, and life decisions.
What qualities make you best suited to do what you do?
I am a trustworthy individual with excellent listening abilities.
What do you love about wealth management?
I love helping people with life decisions. This work brings to bear the navigation skills I learned being the youngest of 7 children.
What is your favorite thing about working at Signature?
Signature is smaller and size. I love being able to sit on the same side of the table as the clients when I’m offering advice.
What’s one thing people don’t realize about wealth management?
There’s a major difference between retail investing and the access you receive at a family office.
What accomplishments are you most proud of?
Going to the University of Virginia, then returning to my hometown and raising my children here. I am also proud of the experience I have gained in obtaining my law degree.
What do you love to do outside of work?
I love to be outside: exercising, working and feeling. I love being with my family and close friends and working on our family’s vintage 1914 Rugby Road farmhouse. I also love learning about history, particularly U.S. history.
- Working for a Delaware Judge who became the Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court and President of all the Chief Justices in the U.S.
- Doubling Signature’s revenue in 7 years and building out the Charlottesville office alongside Eric Johnson
- Receiving Bank of America’s Certified Trust and Financial Advisor designation and the Bank’s 2008 Virginia Spirit Award
- Working with effective nonprofits who protect the environment and children
Education & accreditations
- J.D., University of Richmond School of Law, Richmond, VA
- B.A. in History and Economics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Board Member, ReadyKids
- Board Member, Piedmont Environmental Council
- Board Member, Building Management Company
- Board Member, James River Association
- Committee Member, St. Anne’s Alumni Council
- Samuel Miller Agricultural Trust